A Toast to Vail, Celebrating It's "Golden" 50th Anniversary
Letters from the Library
Skiers and boarders everywhere are celebrating the opening of Vail’s 50th Anniversary Season. With the opening this year, Vail celebrates 50 years – from 1962 to the 2012/2013 season – of incredible skiing as one of the world’s premiere ski destinations. Vail’s advancements in terrain, infrastructure and the luxurious, hip and fun nature of the pedestrian village of Vail itself, truly pay off the phrase coined by Vail Ski Resort: “Like nothing on earth.”
Beginning its run November 16, 2012, Vail’s brand new Gondola #1 carried its first passengers up the mountain. The state-of-the art Gondola #1 is located at the base of the mountain in Vail Village and right next to The Sebastian’s ski-in/ski-out Base Camp. Its heated cars features 360 degree views and complimentary Wi-Fi so you can stay connected on the ride up.
From start to finish, numerous anniversary events, are planned throughout the year, including live music, festivals, anniversary parties and more. Highlights include:
- Dec 10-16…..Vail Snow Daze – the biggest early season party in North America. Enjoy après ski parties, special events and incredible music featuring Wilco, The Shins and Michael Franti & Spearhead
- Dec 15…..Vail’s 50th Birthday Celebration – a free, public outdoor party to commemorate the history and evolution of Vail
- Dec 16-31…..Vail Holidaze – the perfect place to celebrate the season with the family. From carolers, tree lightings, holiday concerts, world-class ice skating shows with world champion skaters like Todd Eldredge and Ryan Bradley, Kids Zone activities and New Years Eve entertainment, a torch light parade and fireworks, you won’t find a more festive atmosphere.
- Jan 2013.....Includes Free Street Beat Concerts and the premiere of Seth Morrison's "The Ordinary Skier"
- Feb 8-10…..Vail Winter Mountain Games Presented by Eddie Bauer – a celebration of adventure sports, music, art and the great outdoors with professional and amateur athletes from around the globe.
- Feb 21-22…..6th Annual Triumph Winterfest “Alpenglow” with Logan Ice Theater – an incredible outdoor cinematic experience for all ages. After the sun sets, a projection of images and videos, capturing the spirit of Vail’s 50th Anniversary, commence upon a 10 foot tall wall of ice along the idyllic Gore Creek Promenade.
- Feb 23-Mar …..Burton US Open – the world’s longest running snowboarding competition, attracting the world’s top competitors, as well as plenty of après ski fun.
- April 8-14…..Spring Back to Vail & Ski Heritage Week – Annual party to finish the season with a bang includes parties, live music, pond-skimming contests and more. Heritage Week celebrates 50 years of mountain fun and memories and features the US Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame annual induction ceremony, the annual gather of the International Skiing History Association
Here at The Sebastian - Vail, we're celebrating the occasion in our own way with a season long anniversary cocktail in Frost bar and our special Vintage Vail package.